An oil massage is very necessary for your baby and can prove to be very beneficial in many ways. Giving a relaxing massage to the baby is actually an age-old practice that is now more than just a massage, it is almost like an art. The various massage techniques used are specially devised to help in maintaining the overall health of the baby. It is widely known that an oil massage has proven to be better than other remedies in common health problems that occur in infants.
- Babies also need relaxation, as they are getting introduced to new things everyday which they have to adjust to. An oil massage can help the baby relax and feel good all over.
- When done on a regular basis, massaging can help the muscles relax. It gives relief from other problems that the baby may be experiencing, such as digestive problems, pain in the body, etc.
- It is also a great way to bond with your baby! This helps to strengthen the relationship between the parent and the child, as it gives them the required space to be together and communicate with each other in their own way.
- A massage will also help to stimulate the various parts of the baby’s body. It helps to stimulate the blood flow and can also help babies to gain weight the healthy way.
Tips for Massaging Effectively
- An oil massage can be given even if your baby is only one month old, for a duration of 10-15 minutes.
- It would be a good idea to keep all the things you require close to the place where you are giving the massage. This will help to you be more systematic and streamlined.
- The time of the massage is a very important factor. It can be given in the morning or after the bath. Care should be taken to avoid giving a massage right after the baby has had food.
- Always ensure that you have a soft surface for the baby when you give it a massage. This will help the baby to enjoy the whole process in a better manner.
- Your baby’s skin is very delicate, and therefore, always ensure you are gentle when giving the oil massage. Always ensure that you place all your expensive rings away and trim your nails so that you can have an easier time massaging.
- Always remove the clothing of the baby so that he/she feels comfortable during the whole process. You can keep the diaper on, but I am sure the baby would be happier without it!
- You can try your hand at singing while massaging. This will help your baby enjoy the massage, especially if you talk to him/her while giving the massage.
- Take a note of the amount of light in the room. The room should not be too bright, instead it should be warm and cozy for the baby.
- Always begin the massage with the legs and the feet. Ensure that you massage one leg at a time.
- The temperature of the room should also be taken into consideration. It should be warm enough for the baby, as children that young are not capable of adjusting their body temperature.
- Always choose edible oil for the massage, as you never know when your baby would choose to put his/her hand straight into the mouth.